Friday, December 01, 2006

Go ahead - she double-dog dares you!

Melinda Delgado is a bit of a spitfire - passionate about her work in the outdoor power equipment industry. I finally met her in person during the Engine and Equipment Training Council conference in Milwaukee this spring. She definitely cares about the industry; improving the skills of its workers and seeing dealers survive. So it wasn't a surprise to me for her to write us a letter challenging others in the industry to seek certification from the EETC's strong program.

In part, she writes, "EETC has a proven track record of excellence. Due to the obvious results of advanced expertise in all who have passed the certification ... there IS a difference in an EETC-Certified Technician.

Delgado goes on to discuss the EETC's latest certification announced in 2004, the Masters Certification program. To receive certification, Delgado writes, one would have to have passed the certification areas of 4-stroke, 2-stroke, electrical, compact diesel, generator, and drivelines/hydraulics/hydrostaticsThe first person to achieve certification was Brian Kassel from Coye Consultants Inc. I happen to be working with Brian on one committee at EETC and know this man is no slouch. He specifically got his certification to be an example for those working with him. In that light, I too am pledging to work toward achieving that goal also. This is where your challenge comes in ... if you are ready!

"As it happens, I am 58 yrs old and have worked a shop for 16 years. Mostly in the office the last 6 years. However, I have turned wrenches also and do have one certification. I have also taken the Briggs MST. The Briggs test and EETC certification tests are no piece of cake. You have to read, learn new things, think and then take a test.

"My challenge goes out to all technicians and, for sure, all dealers. My challenge also goes out to OEM and Distributor Reps.

"So how about it? Are you up for the challenge or are you going to let an old lady beat you to the punch? For anyone who wants to take me up on this challenge, contact me and I will make up a list to send out to all in this educational adventure to announce who has done what, as well as how we are doing as a group," Delgado wrote.

No comments: